Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I ♥ Macarons

I've jumped on the macaron band wagon and have become an adoring fan. I guess late is better than never. According to wikipedia.org, "Larousse Gastronomique cites the macaron as being created in 791 in a convent near Cormery. Some have traced its French debut back to the arrival of Catherine de' Medici's Italian pastry chefs whom she brought with her in 1533 upon marrying Henry II. In the 1830s macarons were served two-by-two with the addition of jams, liqueurs, and spices."

Last Christmas, my brother gave me I ♥ Macarons, by Hisako Ogita, and it launched my adoration for macarons. There are a variety of websites that have great macaron recipes, instructions, and images, but this book puts all of the basics in one place for you. The book introduces macarons at a beginner level and explains the baking process step-by-step. It also has helpful suggestions for various flavor combinations, gift wrapping, presentation, and left over egg yolk recipes.


A critical step in baking macarons is making the perfect batter. The goal is to make a batter that has a "magma-like" consistency, being careful not to over mix it. I'm not quite sure what magma looks like and haven't quite refined my eye for "magma-like" consistency, but this batter seemed to work well enough.

Chocolate Macaron Batter

I did some additional online macaron research, and discovered there are many ways you can skin a cat. Each baker has their own special trick to achieve consistent macaron success. Some used aged egg whites, rap the pans, dry the macaron batter, bake with double trays, baking with the oven propped open, etc. I think you just have to find what works best for you and your oven.

Drying My Macarons

My oven tends to run a little hot, so I choose to dry the macaron batter, bake them double trayed, and rotate them halfway through their baking time. I have found that my macaron results vary based on the consistency of my batter. A thicker batter tends to yield a better shape and macaron texture. While a thinner batter tends to yield flatter and less chewy macarons.

Chocolate Macarons with Dark Chocolate Mousse

The great thing about macarons is that in any case, perfectly shaped and baked or not, they are still delicious! I truly do ♥ Macarons.

No comments:

Post a Comment