Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sights In The Southwest: Day 6

When MH first told me about our Southwest adventure, I came across the travel section in the Los Angeles Times and some one suggested visiting Grand Falls. Since it seemed more or less on the way, I added it to our itinerary and it ended up being a really neat stop. 


Driving to the Grand Falls is literally like driving to the middle of no where. There are no signs for Grand Falls and these were the directions to get there: Turn right and drive 20.3 miles to unpaved and unsigned Indian Road 6910 (between mileposts 5 and 6). Turn left and drive along this rough road 9.4 miles to the turnoff on the left, which leads to the falls overlook.

Next on the itinerary was the Meteor Crater but once we found out that admission was $16 to look at the hole in the ground I opted to wait for MH in the car, relax, and do some reading. MH returned to the car much quicker than I anticipated, and admitted that the $16 admission fee was a total ripoff, but he can say he saw it in person and pointed out that I could not. I'm okay with that.

The last stop for the day was Petrified Forest National Park and MH and I were both underwhelmed. Most of the park was actually badlands and the trails to see the petrified wood weren't very exciting. I guess we had both hoped to see a better display and color variation in the petrified wood, and most of what we saw was pretty dull and boring.


This was one of the most colorful examples of petrified wood that I could find on the Giant Logs trail behind the Rainbow Forest Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment