Thursday, April 15, 2010

Simply Stupendous Shirataki

House Foods America Corporation has an amazing product called Tofu Shirataki. As I mentioned in my previous post, this traditional "pasta alternative" gives you the same sense of eating pasta but without all of the carbs.


(Photo from www.house-foods.com)

What is the hitch you ask? Well, here is what I discovered...
  1. It is of utmost importance to thoroughly rinse/wash the noodles before you cook them. The noodles are packed in a suspiciously foul smelling liquid. However, rinsing/washing the noodles manages to remedy the off-putting smelly issue.
  2. The noodles are virtually tasteless. I've tried pan frying them to give them a crisp but was unsuccessful (and I'm pretty sure its the noodles, not me). I've decided that the noodles work best in soups. Otherwise, the noodles go well with hearty/full-bodied sauces.
You can find Tofu Shirataki noodles at most Asian grocery stores and according to their website, some of the larger grocery chains such as Whole Foods and Ralphs. If you decide to try them, please let me know what you think and how you made them!

3 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to try this product out. I don't know if HEB has it but I'll try Whole Foods

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it at the local white ppl supermarket too. haaha

    ReplyDelete